Questions & answers

Welcome to our Au Pair FAQ Page! This resource is designed to offer you essential information and answers to common questions regarding the au pair program. Whether you’re interested in becoming an au pair or are a family considering hosting one, we aim to provide a comprehensive understanding of the process, requirements, and cultural exchange opportunities. Your au pair journey begins with knowledge, and we’re here to guide you every step of the way.


Below you can find answers on frequently asked questions about inviting an au pair to their families.

We have also added the links to the Scandinavian countries Migrations Agencys for official information about their requirements for bringing an au pair to your country. 

If you have further questions don’t hesitate to mail or call us.

An au pair in your home is one of the most affordable forms of child care available. When you choose an au pair, you give your family a flexible and dependable form of live-in child care at a reasonable cost. You ar eexpected to pay her a monthly allowence and offer her free bord and lodging. 

Au pairs provide your children with personal care in the familiar environment of your home. Your au pair will arrange her weekly working hours to fit your own schedule. In addition to caring for your children, an au pair can also assist you with light household responsibilities, such as preparing your children’s meals and helping them to keep their rooms neat, as well as driving them to and from school, appointments, and activities.

Through our personalized matching process we will professionally match your family with an au pair. We evaluate your child care needs, lifestyle, and personality when selecting the best au pair for your family. With our one-to-one matching process, you can be assured you have the exclusive choice of an au pair.

Each au pair candidate is personally screened before matched with our host families. 

At SAPC AB, we perform a light background check, which includes verifying the au pair’s passport, work and travel history, and her ability to provide references. Criminal records and Medical certificate is only provided if strictly requested by the host family.

The au pair program is a cultural exchange program that encourages the au pair to learn the local language spoken and immerse themselves in the country’s culture and traditions.

The au pair is expected to care for the younger family members and, in addition, perform light household chores in accordance with the schedule agreed upon upon their arrival.

The au pair is also expected to keep their personal space neat and tidy and handle their own laundry.

– Abuse alcoholic beverages. Technically, no partying.
– Abuse the children physically, emotionally, or verbally.
– Abuse the property of the host family in any way.
– Break any laws governing the host family’s country of residence.

Once your au pair’s application has been registered (and paid) at the Migration Board, it will take a minimum of three months before the assigned case officer is ready to make a decision. Additionally, your au pair will need to provide her biometrics and receive her Work & Residence Card, which will be printed in your country and sent to the relevant Embassy.

A rough cost estimation, including the service fee to us is SEK 15 000:-. Additionally, there is an extra charge of SEK 5,000 for candidates who reside in the Philippines and have to travel a rounded ticket to Bangkok.

Absolutely! It might take a little longer to find the right au pair for your family, but many single-parent homes have enjoyed the benefits of having an au pair.

It’s a good idea to let some time pass before assuming there are irreconcilable differences, perhaps a month. The au pair may need a little time to settle in and the host family may need a little time to get accustomed to the new family member. Mismatches are a rare occurrence but when it happens we will upon your written request rematch your au pair  with a new host family and start our work to find your family a replacement, without service charges if still under warranty. 

The host family has no responsibility for their au pair if she decides to leave them. However, it is strongly recommended to report her departure to the Migration Board of the country.

Au pair

Ever thought about going overseas? Now you can spend an exciting year discovering a new country of your choice. Learn a new language, make new friends, and get work experience at the same time. Join in our au pair program now!

We carefully select a host family that will take care of you as a family member and welcome you with open arms. We will do our best to assure  that the family meets your expectations. You will be taking care of the child/children and might be required to do some lighter  house chores. In return you will get your own room, all meals provided, regular time off, and agreed monthly allowence.

Au pairs from EU-countries must register within 3 months and request a residence permit.

– You are at least 18 years old but have not reached 30. 
– You like children and have some child care experience/education.
– You have graduated from high school.
– You have no criminal record.
– You would be interested to stay with your host family for 6 to 12 months.
– You will purchase your own flight ticket for one way.

During your stay as a family member in your host family you will be required to take care of the child/children. You can work with younger children or school age children depending on which family you decide to stay with. You will be giving them breakfast, lunch, prepare/cook dinner. Join in and play with them, help with school work and drive them to and from school. Sometimes take them places, in short be there for the children as company, for help and support.

The family also wants you to do some lighter housework. You can be asked to do the dishes, vacuum, clean, do the laundry, walk the dog (if they have one), sometimes cook, bake, etc. Your duties will come as a natural part of living with your host family. All your duties will be discussed and put on paper before you go. When and if the family goes on vacation, you will, in most cases, travel along to help with the kids.

In return you will be provided with your own room, monthly allowence, and all meals catered for. You will have regular days off to study, meet friends, go sightseeing, and do sports or other social activities.

We are there for you, for help and support of any kind. It’s important to us that you have a great time during your stay with your host family. In any event of disagreement, give us a call or send us a mail and we will try our best to solve the matter. We will supply you with our whatsapp contact information which you can reach 24 hours a day.

In any event of dispute or disagreement with your host family, it’s important to be willing to talk it out and solve it. Most things can be solved if you let them know how you feel. Don’t hesitate to contact us, remember we are there for you. Should the need arise, we will find you another host family. However, we are confident that you are going to enjoy yourself and have a wonderful time!

– Au pairs from non-EU-countries will have to undertake a visa process 

– Au pairs from non-EU-countries must be younger than 30 years in most countries.

– Au-pairs from non-EU-countries need to have a Residence and Work permit as au pair.

When we receive your application, we will put it on file and you will become a possible candidate when we perform the matching process for our host families. You will be notified as soon as we have matched an interesting host family for you. If you indicate interest for them,  we will introduce you to them and hopefully they will contact you for an interview soon after. This is a good time to find out more about the host family and what they expect from you. Prepare a list of things you would like to know in advance.

If there’s a match, we will go ahead with the rest of the procedures that could include, contracts, a visa process, travel arrangements and more. If you show no interest in the host family in question, you will reamain a possible candidate for our ongoing searches.

If you have any questions, don’t hesitate mail us at scandinavian@aupair.se

Being an au pair in Sweden

If you are a non EU citizen and wish to work here an au pair you must apply for a  Work and Residence permit (“arbets- och uppehållstillstånd” in Swedish). 

An au pair lives with a host family and receives a certain compensation for light household duties and child care.

The aim of the visit is to acquire international experience and have the opportunity to learn Swedish and get acquainted with Swedish culture. If you have a permit to work as an au pair you are consequently not permitted to work as a nanny or housemaid full-time.

A previous period spent as an au pair in another country immediately prior to the planned stay in Sweden could reduce the chances of you being granted a permit in Sweden. It could namely be a sign that you are not really an au pair, but a low paid nanny or hoouse maid.

You can only be granted a Work and Residence Permit for the period you have been offered work. The maximum period for an au pair visa for Sweden is 12 months.  

In order to be granted a work and residence permit you must

  • have a valid passport
  • be at least 18 years old but not turned 30 when the decison is taken
  • be able to argue that you have a distinct interest in the Swedish language and culture.
  • confirm that you are admitted to a course of language study
  • have a written invitation from your host family in Sweden stating the terms and conditions of your employment as an au pair
  • an accident insurance that covers accidents and illness during working hours

Yes, the common practice is to provide 14 days of paid holidays per year, in agreement with her host family.

You will apply with our assistance for a Work and Residence Permit from your native country or some other country where you are living, outside Sweden. Those who receive a Work and Residence as permit as au pair  will be assigned a residence permit card. The card is proof of your residence permit. When you enter Sweden, you must show your residence permit card together with your passport.

Ensure that you have the following documents prepared before filling out the application form on the web, after receiving an invitation from your host family:

   ·       A valid passport with a picture covering the period of your stay to be uploaded.

   ·       A photo of your current Visa if any.

   ·       Well-prepared reasons for wanting to come to Sweden as an au pair, to be filled in.

   ·       Access to the insurance policy taken out by your host family, to be uploaded.


   ·       A credit card for paying the application fee when submitting the application.

Note that the Migration board or consulate where you submit your application may require additional documents. You will find more information and contact information on the website of the relevant embassy.

Most applicants have to pay an application fee. If your application is refused, your money will not be returned. 

Individuals who come to work as an aupair in Sweden for a period shorter than a year are not entitled to the same welfare benefits as permanent residents. Therefore, it is important that you ensure that either you or your host family has taken out Comprehensive Accident and Health Insurance for you. 

Being an au pair in Denmark

What is the au pair scheme?

If you are a young foreign national wishing to learn about Danish language and culture, you can apply for a residence permit in Denmark as an au pair.

You must have made an agreement to live with a Danish host family. By taking part in the daily life of the family on the same terms as the other family members, you can gain the desired insight into Danish culture.

The host family will give you food, accommodation and a monthly allowance (pocket money). In return you must take part in ordinary domestic chores.

If you are a citizen of a country outside of the EU/EEA, you must submit an application for a residence permit to SIRI – use this webpage to apply.

If you are a citizen of a EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you do not need to apply for a residence permit, but must instead apply for a EU residence document.

When SIRI assesses whether your stay as an au pair is in accordance with your life story, or whether there is a reason to assume that your purpose for applying differs from the intention behind the scheme, SIRI will look at the following:

  • Whether you have completed a youth study programme equivalent to the Danish 9th grade.
  • Whether you are able to communicate with your host family and manage yourself in Denmark. Thus, you must be able to speak and understand either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German on a moderate level.
  • Your reason for applying to stay as an au pair in Denmark.
  • Any previous residence permits or applications for residence permits in Denmark.
  • Any previous stays as an au pair in other western countries.
  • Any previous stays with host families in Denmark.
  • Whether you are related to your host family, or whether you are of the same nationality as one or more of the family members.
  • Your education and any vocational experience, including whether a stay as an au pair has a natural connection to your life, career and development so fa

Non-EU-citizens are not covered by the Danish Health Insurance until 6 weeks after registering with the Danish Authorities – after your arrival in Denmark. It’s therefore advisable to take out insurance for the initial period of time before you leave your home country. EU-citizens are covered by the Danish Health Insurance. To seek medical help you need a civil registration number (in Denmark this is called a “CPR number”) which you will receive automatically when registered with the Danish Authorities (see residence permit) together with a health insurance card (“sygesikringskort”). Form E104 from your local health service within the EU will ensure that you are covered until registered. Treatment is free of charge but you pay for medicine. Please note that only treatment locally in Denmark is covered, not transportation to your home country.

You earn paid holiday which you can use from the beginning of your au pair stay.

You earn 2,5 days per month if you work 6 days per week or 2,08 days if you work 5 days per week.

You must enter into a written agreement with your host family about when you will be taking holiday.

When your au pair stay ends, your host family must pay you for any holiday days earned but not used.

Danish class is compulsary provided by your host family.

If you for some reason decide to leave the family earlier than planned you must give them at least two week’s notice. If the host family asks you to leave earlier than planned they must also give you at least 1 month notice. Scandinavian Au pair Center must be notified immediately. Siris will contact you and ask you to provide information about your new host family within one month to avoid termination of your visa.

You will have 1.5 days off per week, typically weekends.

The host family must pay your fare to Denmark if you are travelling from a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

The host family must pay your return fare if you are returning to a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

The host family must also pay your return fare if you are in Denmark at the time of application and your application for a residence permit is refused. 

If your host family pays your fare, the time and itinerary of your trip must not be too much of an inconvenience to you.

The host family must pay your fare to Denmark if you are travelling from a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

The host family must pay your return fare if you are returning to a country outside of the EU/EEA or Switzerland.

The host family must also pay your return fare if you are in Denmark at the time of application and your application for a residence permit is refused. If your host family pays your fare, the time and itinerary of your trip must not be too much of an inconvenience to you.


An application for a residence permit as an au pair is processed by the Danish Agency for International Recruitment and Integration (SIRI). If you are in Denmark when submitting the application, you must be here legally. More about legal submission here.

Being an aupair in Norway

Norway has unfortunately decided to discontinue their au pair scheme with effect from 15th of  March 2024.

We ar truly sorry for the inconvenience their decision will cause for Norwegian families who struggle to make their daily puzzle work.

Your host family can be a married couple, partners or cohabitants with or without children, or a single parent with children. 

Your host family must have good knowledge of Norwegian society and speak Norwegian to the au pair. 

No one in the host family can be the au pair’s spouse, cohabitant, parent, child, sibling, cousin, brother/sister in law or uncle/aunt

The working hours must normally not exceed five hours a day, and the maximum number of working hours per week is 30. You cannot work more than 30 hours, not even for extra pay. 

Your host family will provide you opportunity to participate in Norwegian language classes.

You are entitled to have 25 days paid holidays per year. 

When you have filled in the application for renewal online, and booked the first available appointment with the police that you can find, you can move in with your new host family.